Progressing down the yellow brick road…

I love spring break!  I can get lots of uninterrupted sewing done.  Here are some pictures to prove it.

This is my progress on Miss S’s pieces.  Her vest (Simplicity  8567) was a little less time-consuming than Miss M’s (New Look 6129), so it’s practically done already.  Since I’m using the same green thread for the dresses and for the rainbow striped vest and apron, I did all those garments first.  (That way, I don’t have to keep changing the thread in the machines.)


This is Miss M’s outfit so far.  Both green dresses (Simplicity 2845) still need side seams, hem, and elastic at the neck and sleeves.  This vest and vest lining are waiting to be put together, and the apron is still 4 separate rectangles.


That was how I left things at bedtime Tuesday night.  Today I made some more strides toward the finished products.

First, the two dresses.  The girls will be here Friday to try them on so I can check hem length and the fit of the elastic around the neck and shoulders.  There will also be elastic at the sleeve hem, but I forgot to measure their upper arms for that.  Oops!  My dress form (I call her Beatrice…don’t ask why) has really broad shoulders, so these girls’ dresses look kind of goofy there.  Trust me, the dresses will look better on Miss M and Miss S!

Miss S is the shorter of the two girls, and wanted a little bit longer sleeve.  Miss M is taller and likes a shorter sleeve.












And here are the almost finished outfits…

Miss S…

…and Miss M.


I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore.


Guess how I’m spending my spring break.  Sewing, of course, yes.  But what am I sewing?  A friend asked if I would be interested in making costumes for her daughter (I’ll call her Miss M) and another young lady I know (Miss S).  The girls will be in a stage production of The Wizard of Oz.  When I found out they weren’t cast as the Tin Man, the Cowardly Lion, or the Scarecrow, I agreed.

The costumes required are green dresses for a scene in the Emerald City, and colorful vests and aprons (worn over the dresses) for a Munchkin scene.  The moms of the girls brought me the fabrics to be used and a pattern for the dresses.  I have vest patterns, and the aprons are simple…no pattern required.  I took the girls’ basic measurements–you know, length for dress, length for apron, length of sleeve, waist, etc.

Here are all the pieces of both girls’ dresses, vests, and aprons, cut out and ready to assemble.  (Really bad pictures taken by me.)

The picture above shows Miss M’s ensemble.  I can hardly wait to see her in that sunshiny vest and cheery floral apron!

The picture below is Miss S’s outfit, with vertical stripes on her rainbow vest and horizontal stripes on the apron.  (The green fabric looks more like the real color in this photo, even though it’s blurry.)

Follow the yellow brick road!